C. Grant Anderson
Business Intelligence and Software Architect/Developer
Phone: 770-715-8466 Grant@CGrantAnderson.com
My objective is a position developing business intelligence, data warehouse, OLAP cubes, and data warehouse solutions with Microsoft SQL Server, SSAS, SSIS, and C# .NET toolsets.
- “Grant, the DnF Chart Tool is incredible! It looks like a professional commercial application! The software you replaced cost $2.2 million dollars to develop and $120K per year in support! And you built it all by yourself!”
- AT&T coworker and manager (2013).
- “In all my years of experience I’ve never encountered a developer as good as you.”
- AT&T coworker (2013).
- “Grant can do it all!”
- AT&T manager (2010).
- “Grant’s a one-stop shop for development!”
- AT&T manager, the Trinity project (2009).
- ”The (OLAP) cube experience and talent that was exhibited in the cube project is of exceptional nature.”
- Microsoft Solution Review quote (2007).
Primary and recent skills:
- Microsoft Analysis Services (SSAS) 2012, 2008 R2, 2005, 2000 with MDX.
- Microsoft Integration Services (SSIS) 2012, 2008 R2, 2005.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012, 2008, 2005, 2000, 7.0, 6.5, 6.0 with SQL.
- Oracle 8, 9i, 10g.
- C# ASP.NET and Windows Forms, VB.Net, Microsoft .NET 4.5/3.5/2.0/1.3/1.1 with ADO.NET, ADOMD.NET, AMO, SMO, XML, HTML, AJAX, and Developers Express .NET Suite.
- Architecture, Design, Coding, and Documentation.
- Innovative solutions and custom tools for challenging requirements and situations.
- Self-starter works independently or with diverse technical and non-technical people.
- Excellent communication skills and writing ability for requirements and documentation.
Work Industries List
- Health Care
- Dot Com
9/2010 – Present
AT&T Mobility, Atlanta, Georgia
I develop .NET software applications in both Windows forms and ASP.NET web forms in C# using SQL Server 2012 for AT&T as well as OLAP Cubes using Microsoft SSAS (Analysis Services) 2012 and data warehouse staging ETL with SSIS (Integration Services).
- C# development with DevExpress components – Both Windows and Web (ASP.NET)
- ERD – Engineering Rules Database application (ASP.NET).
- EBT – Engineering Budget Tool application (ASP.NET).
- DnF Chart Tool (Windows with ClickOnce deployment) – Automatically generate 3,000 charts with customized options from SQL Server database to PNG images and master PowerPoint slide set in less than 15 minutes.
- Developed the Aspire Framework to replace IronSpeed applications.
- Developed 17 prototype and production dashboards with Dundas Dashboards and trained in LogiXML.
- Developed LTE SPG/SPW OLAP production cube with ETL in six weeks.
- Developed two OLAP Cube and Excel Pivot Table learning videos and provided training.
Senior BI Consultant/Architect/Team Lead
3/2010 – 9/2010
Bright Byte Consulting, Atlanta, Georgia
Developed iRIS a specialized Business Intelligence front end GUI and automated report generator for SSRS reports in C# ASP.NET.
- Built and ran the development team, designed and architected the solution, functioned as technical team lead, and prototyped the development solution and code.
- This solution acted as a user friendly front end to the corporate data warehouse and generated SSRS RDL code
- Developed OLAP cube for monitoring development progress.
Senior BI Consultant/Data Warehouse OLAP Cube Developer
9/2008 – 3/2010
AT&T, Alpharetta, Georgia
Developed two terabyte data warehouses with OLAP cubes for wireless UMTS cell phone traffic performance tracking using SQL Server 2008, SSIS, SQL, SSAS, and C#.
- Two complete terabyte size data warehouse and OLAP cube systems.
- Custom KPIs and Busy Hour tracking with Data Dictionary database and GUI front end.
- Oracle source system, SSIS ETL, SQL Server 2008 staging databases, and SSAS (Analysis Services) 2008 OLAP cubes for analysis and reporting.
Developed the Trinity cell phone reporting system a one stop application to combine reporting for SSRS reports, SQL databases, and OLAP cubes in one easy to use high performance application.
- Click Once deployment and updating via Trinity ASP.NET web portal.
- Included unique Dynamic Reports allowing the users to modify and customize reports.
- Included OLAP cube browser, MDX reports, and SSRS reports.
- Built in C# .NET 2.0 for Windows and ASP.NET with SQL Server 2008 back end and Developers Express Windows and ASP.NET controls.
Senior BI Dashboard Developer (Part Time)
9/2008 – 12/2008
CareCentric, Atlanta, Georgia
Developed a Business Intelligence dashboard in C#.
- Supported SSRS reports and charts in a dashboard application.
- Part time remote position.
Senior BI Consultant – Data Warehouse and OLAP Developer
Colorado Home and Finance Authority (CHFA), Denver, CO
Senior BI Consultant on a project to resurrect a stalled BI data warehouse/OLAP cube project, train staff, and develop new cubes, a data warehouse, and a dashboard prototype with Dundas controls.
- Data warehouse with multiple OLAP cubes and dimensional schemas developed for single family mortgage loan data, workflow data, and loan servicing data.
- Development of all ETL with SQL and SSIS with SQL Server 2005.
- Extensive hands on training of a staff member for OLAP cube development with AS2005 and dimensional modeling.
- Full design and deployment documentation of all work.
- Development of tools and utilities in C# include SQL Log Truncation Tool and OLAP Cube Explorer and Documentation Tool
Data Architect/OLAP Cube and .NET Developer
1/2006 – 10/2007
Health Grades, Inc., Golden, CO
Data Architect and Database Developer responsible for developing BI and database solutions using Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and Analysis Services 2005.
- Implemented an OLAP multi-dimensional database architecture and database cubes and infrastructure for the QAI (Quality Assurance Initiative) product using Microsoft Analysis Services 2005, SQL Server 2005, SQL, SSIS, MDX, and custom .NET C# tools, with ProClarity and MS Reporting Services reports.
- Developed additional OLAP database cubes for MedPar data, hospital Ratings and Rankings data, web analytics, and prototype cubes.
- Initiated and spearheaded a database re-engineering program for a complex statistical database system (QAI).
- Developing multi-dimensional cube processes and tools in Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 using C# (ADO.NET and ADOMD.NET) and MS Integration Services.
- Developed Reporting Services extensions and a batch reporting tool in C# to run multiple SSRS reports simultaneously through multi-threading with only one set of input parameters.
- Developed flexible data importer tool in C# to input data in many formats to the data warehouse.
- Internal consultant for database design, re-engineering, and best practices.
- Scored 4.4 out of 5 in last job review.
Senior Consultant – BI Developer
1/2005 – 11/2005
Norfolk Southern Railroad, Atlanta, GA
BI Developer for a major transportation company in their Operations Research department.
- Developed and enhanced multi-dimensional database cubes, web based access and reporting software, and utility programs to access, browse, and report on payroll data OLAP cubes (Analysis Services 2000) with DTS ETL.
- Provided complete project development and support including project planning, architecture, deployment, documentation, and user support.
- Deployed and provided support for the 380 online users in multiple states.
- Developed prototype OLAP database cubes.
Senior Software Engineer/Development Lead
1/2001 – 1/2005
Wave7 Optics, Inc., Alpharetta, GA
Senior Software Engineer/DBA for the Manufacturing Test Department.
- Design and development of real-time system monitoring and test software, data collection and data reporting databases and systems, department databases and servers.
- Development of the MTest ATE (Automated Test Equipment) database system, a real-time data collection and business intelligence reporting system for remote automated test equipment data using .NET 1.1/1.3 and SQL Server 2000.
- Development of MS SQL Server 2000 databases including system design, data schemas, stored procedures, triggers, tables, reports, database design and management.
- Development of real-time automated test programs in VB.NET and C# with MS SQL Server 2000 databases.
- Technologies used include ADO.NET, XML, TCP/IP, sockets, SQL Server DTS, TCL, fiber optics, real-time device interfacing including telnet, serial, GPIB, and proprietary interfaces.
- Supervision of test engineers and test technicians.
Senior Software Engineer/hands-on Development Manager for the Software Engineering Department.
Responsible for development and delivery of an EMS (Element Management System) for control and network management of fiber optic telecomm access devices and networks
- Responsible for project development activities, scheduling, recruiting, project planning, interfacing with test team, specs, ER/Studio data modeling, etc.
- Conceived, architected, designed, and implemented LMS (Last Mile Sentinel) Config program which included EMS device local and remote (network) configuration via an easy to use GUI, test programs, scripting program/manager, and IP protocol wizard in VB 6.0 Enterprise. Shipped versions 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 at the same time the device hardware shipped (instead of 6+ months later which is typical in the industry). These programs were accepted and privately branded by a large multinational company and distributed worldwide.
- Designed and implemented additional device EMS programs in Java 2 (version 1.4 beta) Swing for device inventory and a completely automated device provisioning system. Technologies included MS SQL Server 2000/7, MSDE, JDBC, JMS, LDAP, XML (SAX), SNMP v2C, and JBuilder 6.0.
- Technologies include TCP-IP, UDP, Ethernet, Voice over IP (VoIP–MGCP), CATV video.
Senior Software Engineering Manager
5/2000 – 1/2001
Paceon, Division of Mitsubishi Corporation, Duluth, GA
Senior Manager of the Software Engineering Department of a startup telecommunications company specializing in optical fiber systems access systems (FTTH – Fiber To The Home, FTTB – Fiber To The Business).
- Responsible for development and delivery of an EMS (Element Management System) for control and management of fiber optic telecommunications access (APON) system.
- Re-built development organization after departure of previous staff.
- Managed team of six developers and two managers.
- Responsible for project development activities, scheduling, recruiting, project planning, customer presentations, personnel, outside vendors, contracts, ISO 9000, etc.
- DBA for MySQL and Oracle 8i databases, database modeling in ER/Studio.
- 3-tier TMN EMS client/server system, multi-platform (Sun Solaris, HP-UX, IBM AIX, Linux, Windows NT/2000), Java front-end client, Java back-end server programs, Oracle 8i and MySQL databases, JBuilder 4.0, UML Use Cases, ATM protocol, CORBA and OSMINE NMA and TEMS northbound interfaces. System utilized CMIP, TL1, and Telnet and serial CLIs.
Chief Software Architect/Development Manager
6/1999 – 4/2000
ENA, Inc., Alpharetta, GA
Chief Software Architect of a startup telecommunications company specializing in OSS (Operational Support Systems).
- Responsible for the database and system architecture for a suite of software products for the telecommunications industry utilizing Client/Server, Unix, and web systems designs including product planning, technology assessment, and product prototyping.
- Inherited a problematical TMN fault management development project and staff. Fixed the product and staff problems and crashed developed new product modules and features. The first product delivered to and accepted by a customer in the company’s six-year history.
- Database design, data modeling (Power Designer 6), replication, Oracle 8i administration, and porting to Oracle 8i from Sybase Adaptive Server and MS Access.
- Also responsible for recruitment, technical evaluation, and hiring of developers and technical staff members for the Development Department.
- Visual C++ 6.0, VB 6.0, Unix C/C++, and Oracle 8i and Sybase System 11/Adaptive Server.
Senior Consultant – Information Technology Architect/DBA
7/1997 – 6/1999
State of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
Information Technology Architect and DBA/Database Systems Engineer for the State of Wisconsin on several projects.
- Technology consultant and DBA for the development of large statewide client-server child abuse reporting systems using Oracle 7.3 and 8 and Sybase System 11 databases.
- Advanced application systems including Enterprise Java Bean servers (Weblogic and Oracle 8i EJB server) and custom LDAP/NDS (X.500) security server in Visual C++.
- Development of database performance monitoring tools in Visual Basic 6.0 and Visual C++.
- Data modeling with Power Designer 6.0. Database architecture and design, mentoring, development of database standards and data dictionary, web site database support, and development of database performance monitoring tools for a state-wide VB 6.0/MS SQL Server 7.0 client-server District Attorney Case Management System.
Senior Consultant – Senior DBA
6/1995 – 4/1997
Lucent Technologies (formerly AT&T), Alpharetta, GA
Senior Data Base Administrator for the ICE system, an interdivisional financial system handling $12+ billion dollars of transactions yearly.
- Extensive re-engineering of the OLTP (transaction) and DSS (data warehouse) systems to improve reliability (uptime) and performance (response time) for 12 Sybase SQL Servers (System 10 & 11), 2 Oracle 7.3 Servers, two data warehouses, and Replication Server.
- Responsible for all production and development system database systems including installation, configuration, data model changes, support, tuning, supervision of junior DBA.
- Developed Intranet web site for DBA management and database performance monitoring.
- Implemented architectural and data partitioning changes to dramatically improve database performance (over 6x) and reliability of the data warehouse and replication performance.
- Project responsibility for cloning original production system ($32+ billion dollar volume) into two duplicate systems (24 database servers) during the AT&T/Lucent divestiture.
Consultant – Client Server Developer/DBA
10/94 – 6/95
Harris Digital Telephone Systems, Norcross, GA
Developer/DBA on new multi-platform Client Server system redesign of a real-time C and FoxPro telephone billing system.
- Extensive architecture and design work and Analysis and modeling in Erwin (data modeling) and Rational Rose OOP methodology.
- PowerBuilder 4.0 Enterprise front end, Sybase 10.02 backend, with C/C++ based 24×7 telephony processing computers.
Consultant – Software Developer/System Administrator/DBA
3/1990 – 9/1994
IBM Corporation, Boca Programming Center, Boca Raton, FL
Kernel Developer for the DAE (Distributed Automation Edition) kernel (3/90 – 3/91).
- Microsoft C 6.0a under OS/2 1.3 and the IBM C compiler on VM. Software Developer/System Administrator for the DPM (Distributed Presentation Manager) project (3/91 – 3/92).
- Conversion of OS/2 2.0 PM APIs (OS/2 internals) using Microsoft 386 C compiler to support mapping to X-Windows APIs.
- On-site supervisor for 10 people for the consulting agency.
Developer/System Administrator/DBA for the Advanced Development department (3/92 to 9/94) on the Starbase (later WorkPlace OS) project.
- Developed code and support tools using the GNU C++, AIX 3.2.4, IBM C/Set++, and Metaware C++ compilers.
- Writing a book on OLAP Cubes.
- Microsoft Business Intelligence Certification
- Microsoft MSCE Solutions Expert: Business Intelligence– SQL Server 2012 (In progress.)
- CTT+ – Certified Technical Trainer Plus– Completed course and video but not test.
- Oracle PL/SQL.
- Masters of Transpersonal Psychology – 2013 – 4.0 GPA
Sofia University (formerly the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology), Palo Alto, California
- Graduate courses towards MS degree in Computer Science – 1992 – 4.0 GPA
Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, Florida
- Training in Knowledge Engineering, Expert Systems, and LISP – 1987
GM Artificial Intelligence/Knowledge Engineering Lab, GM Research Center, Detroit, Michigan
- Bachelor of Science, Computer Science and General Engineering – 1986 – 4.0 GPA
State University of New York, Regents Program (now Excelsior College), Albany, New York
Two U.S. patents for electronic metering devices.
- Thermal Energy Meter, US 4393919, Cary R. Anderson, July 19, 1983.
- Thermal Energy Meter, US 4482006, Cary R. Anderson, November 13, 1984.
- Note: Listed under my former middle initial which was changed to “Grant” in 1994.
- “SubStringInstance SQL CLR – Find nth Instance of a String”, CodeProject.com(2013)
- IEEE– Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers.
- AAAI– American Association for Artificial Intelligence.
- TDWI– The Data Warehouse Institute.
- PASS– Professional Association for SQL Server.
- Atlanta Business Intelligence Users Group– Local Atlanta BI Group.
- Mensa– The High IQ Society.
Excellent references can be furnished upon specific request.